- High Voltage Transformers
- Switchmode Transformers
- Flyback Transformers
- Trigger Pulse Transformers
- Step Up/Down Transformers
- Power Transformers
- Toroidal Transformers
- Antennas and Air Coils
- Down Hole Applications
- DC Igniters
- High Current Inductors
- Custom Manufacturing
- Hydrogen Coils
- Control Transformers
- Inverter Transformers
- Low Profile (LPC) Transformers
- Ferrite Transformer
- Pulse Transformers
- Single Phase Transformer
- Specialty Transformers
- Isolation Transformer
- Surface Mount Transformer
- Toroidal Inductor
- Air Core Inductors
- Ferrite Inductors
- Power Inductors
- Surface Mount Inductors
Single Phase Power Transformers for Light Duty Applications
Single phase power transformers, also called single phase AC transformers, are designed to accept a single-phase AC current and produce single-phase AC power. It means the transformer relies on a voltage cycle operating in a particular uniform time phase. The power produced is typically lower or higher voltage levels. In these transformers, the energy is transferred between circuits through the principle of electromagnetic induction. Being one of the industry-leading single phase transformer suppliers, Custom Coils specializes in the designing and manufacturing of single-phase power transformers for light and heavy-duty applications. We also deliver customized single phase transformers to our clients across power generation and distribution industries.
Working Principle of Single Phase Transformers
The transformer comprises three main parts— a magnetic core, a primary winding, and a secondary winding. This transformer works on the basis of Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction. The law of electromagnetic induction states that the “Induced electromotive force (EMF) of the coil is directly proportional to the rate of change in the linkage flux.” This law is best explained through the working of the circuit:
- The primary and secondary windings comprise of insulated copper wires, which are wound on a common magnetic circuit known as the core.
- This core is made of ferrous material and comprises of several layers, which are laminated together. This lamination helps reduce losses.
- The primary winding of the single phase compact control transformer is connected to an AC source, whereas the secondary winding is attached to the load.
- Being connected to the common core facilitate power transfer from one coil to another.
- The magnetic field is produced when an AC current is made to pass through the primary coil. This magnetic field collapses in the core and induces a voltage in the secondary winding.
- The induced voltage and current produced is determined by Faraday’s law.
- Single phase power transformers having the ratio of 1:1 is used for isolating circuits.
Owing to its typical construction and operating principles, these power transformers are used for stepping down long-distance transmission currents so that they can be utilized for residential and commercial applications.
Types of Single Phase Power Transformers
We regularly design and provide different types of single phase power transformers. These transformers are distinguished based on how windings are wrapped around the laminated core.
Things to Consider When Buying Single Phase Power Transformers
Custom Coils specializes in the design and manufacturing of customized single phase power transformers. We help clients to build a custom solution for their diverse power needs. We suggest them to decide based on the following factors:
- Primary Voltage Rating: This is basically the input voltage range.
- Secondary Voltage Rating: It is the output voltage range.
- Operating Temperatures: The temperature of the transformer may increase when in use, thereby affecting its performance. Thus, safe operating temperatures are decided.
- Operating Frequency Ranges: The transformers designed for higher operating frequencies are compact sized because they require small amounts of windings.
- Secondary Current Rating: It is the output current rating.
- Power Rating: This is the maximum voltage that the transformer can endure. This is often expressed in the units of voltage-amperes or volt-amps.
Single Phase Power Transformer Features and Specifications
Custom Coils offers single phase AC transformers in varied designs and specifications to fulfil the requirement of our clients:
- X:Y ratio definition
- Voltage IN: Voltage OUT definition
- Single or multiple outputs
- Defined voltage isolation
- Flying leads with Quick Disconnects
- PC Mount
- Can be designed to Meet UL/CSA Spacing and Safety Standard
Single Phase Power Transformers Construction and Design Elements
Custom Coils single phase transformers are offered with the following design elements:
- Cores: We can provide single phase transformers comprising laminated or toroidal cores. The laminated cores feature several alternating layers of steel laminations, as well as insulations. These insulated cores help confine eddy currents and reduce the effect of magnetizing currents. Laminations are E-shaped, and equipped with I-Shaped Caps, and are often known as E-I transformers. We also provide C-shaped laminated cores.
- Mounting: The transformers can be provided in various mounting configurations. We regularly deliver board-mount transformers. These transformers are widely used for circuit board applications, and they transfer voltages between different circuits.
Single Phase Power Transformers Applications:
Single phase transformers are gaining popularity over three-phase transformers in various non-urban areas, where the power demand is low. It is seen that single phase power transformers are often combined with various household appliances for power saving. The lower-voltage output of these transformers is rectified into DC voltages, which helps to protect the appliance from power peaks and fluctuations. The single phase power transformers are used in the following applications:
- Stereo systems
- Microwave ovens
- Voltage reduction
At Custom Coils, we are committed to delivering high-quality products, which offer the best value for the investment. This commitment has helped us become one of the leading single phase transformer manufacturers in the US. Do you have specific single-phase transformers in mind? We will help you materialize it. Our experts will help you identify the challenges in your current design, and provide you with solutions for improving efficiency. Please contact us at your earliest convenience to know more about single phase compact control transformers offered by us in custom specifications.
Have a question about a single phase power transformer or any other custom magnetic assembly?
Ask our skilled experts can solve all your queries!
Contact Us At 605.934.2460