A transformer is a electronic device that transfers current from the source circuit to a connected circuit or even multiple connected circuits. A toroidal transformer is a toroid-shaped or ring-like device which uses a magnetic core. Toroid transformers are also used for isolating a device from the voltage source. Toroidal current transformers find use in electrical systems across industries ranging from power distribution & LED lighting to telecommunication and industrial control systems. Custom made toroidal transformers have many advantages such as reduced electromagnetic interference. This benefit can be attributed to the toroidal transformer construction and design. In recent years, the demand for toroidal transformers has increased due to distinct advantages they offer. This post discusses the working, design, and advantages of a toroidal transformer.
Toroidal Current Transformer Design and Working
Toroidal power transformers have a toroidal core as a base, and primary and secondary coils wound on them. The primary and secondary windings are two magnetically coupled coils.
So, primarily, they work on the principle of electromagnetic induction. The current flows through the primary winding. This induces an electromotive force followed by the flow of current in the secondary winding. This is how the current is transferred from primary to secondary winding. They operate with a fully-loaded capacity and may function continuously or intermittently based on the application. The cores of this donut-shaped transformer are built using materials such as iron powder or ferromagnetic materials. These transformers are available in various capacities. Usually, the smaller transformers with a capacity of up to 100 MHz possess a ferrite core. The cross-section of a toroidal transformer is mostly a symmetrical circle, which also helps reduce magnetic flux. The low EMI advantage of this transformer finds applications in audio and video devices, as well as amplifiers.
Top Ten Toroidal Transformer Advantages
Toroidal transformers find plenty of applications in critical areas such as biomedical instrumentation, aerospace, power distribution, and current measurement in electricity supply units, and so on. Their unique shape offers many benefits. Here are some of them:
- They have a unique, compact design which makes them suitable in cramped up spaces.
- Their design and winding pattern reduce the number coils, which in turn helps decrease electromagnetic interference (EMI) and resistive losses.
- This design improves the overall efficiency and electrical performance as the short windings act as a shield. It helps keep the system temperature to the lower side.
- The short windings reduce the humming sound and create a close to ideal magnetic field.
- It is lightweight and hence easy to handle.
- These can be custom made and hence do not have compatibility issues with most equipment.
- Toroidal cores facilitate almost 100% utilization with minimal energy dissipation.
- The energy required to maintain the magnetic field is far lesser in case of toroidal transformers when compared to most other types.
- These are resistant to external EMI as the windings on the toroid are absolutely compact without any gaps in between.
- They are relatively cost-effective.
Toroidal transformers are widely used for step up and step down applications across industries. They are used as isolation equipment in the medical industry, as well as in security systems, industrial control equipment, automotive electronics, and so on. Do you wish to consider them for your next project? If yes, ensure you source them from extremely reliable players. Custom Coils is one of the well-known high-quality toroidal transformer manufacturers. They offer the same in various formats and features, and specialize in custom made transformers.